821 Homestead Road, Jenkintown PA 19046

215 887 0500  oursaviourjenkintown@gmail.com

 


Memorials

There are many memorials in the Church of Our Saviour.  They honor former rectors, vestrymen, congregants, veterans of foreign wars, and members of the Newbold family.  Among the Newbolds recognized are William Henry Newbold  (1807-1862), the founder, and his son, John S. Newbold (1831-1887). The memorials come in many forms: stained glass windows, plaques, altar accessories, and church furniture.  Some date to the end of the nineteenth century when the church was enlarged and remodeled by the distinguished architectural firm of Furness & Evans.


Plaque in honor of William West Frazier (1839-1921), a warden at
the church for 32 years (1889-1921)

Jenkintown in the 1850s was a small village far from the industrial metropolis of Philadelphia. By the beginning of the twentieth century it had become home to many of the gardeners, maids, butlers, and cooks employed in the nearby estates. The owners of those estates were some of Philadelphia's wealthiest business leaders.  Among them were the the traction magnate Peter A. B. Widener, the financier Jay Cooke, and the department store owner John Wanamaker.  The Newbolds built the Church of Our Saviour on their estate, which sat between Old York Road and Washington Lane.  Jenkintown was linked to the outside world by railroad as early as the 1850s, but it was not until the construction of an electric trolley line from Philadelphia to Willow Grove in the early twentieth century that it became closely connected to the city.

Chancel Plaque in honor of William Henry Newbold (1807-1862),
who founded the church in 1858

 

Stained glass window in memory of Anne Coxe Colton (1808-1894), mother of the Rev. A. Francis Colton (1843-1880), rector from
June 1, 1870-July 28, 1880.  

Installed in 1898  Luke 2:36 

Stained Glass window in memory of Mary Dickson Scott
(1876-1905), wife of Clement Buckley Newbold  

Crafted by the eminent artist, muralist, and stained glass
window designer, John LaFarge who revolutionized the art of
stained glass when he patented the opalescent glass
manufacturing process in 1880,

Installed in 1906


Eagle lecturn, a memorial to the Rev. A. Francis Colton  who died
on July 28, 1880.  Installed at Easter, 1881

Pentecost Window: memorial to John S. Newbold (1831-1887),
son of the founder